How to make clay roses
Spring has finally sprung
! Or has it?
It’s currently sunny, yet under 50 degrees so maybe it hasn’t really sprung just yet.
And I’ve got to be honest, I’m feeling the winter blues! I’m ready for summer already!
So I thought what better way to boost the springtime vibe than to make flowers!
But not just any flowers, ROSES!
I don’t know about you but I love roses! And today we’re making them with a little twist!
We are going to make roses out of clay!
Clay is such a fun medium to work with because you can litter ally mold it into whatever the heck you wan! It comes in a variety of colors and it’s so much for all ages!
As a kid, I can remember making beads for bracelets and little animals but today this project is a little bit more in-depth!
These mini roses can be used for necklaces, bracelets, rings or even just photo decorations! Of course, you can make them any size you want.
Just have fun with this!
I’m going to using them for another fun spring inspired DIY next week that I’m pretty excited about!
The really exciting thing about this project is that you really don’t need much at all!
Grab your clay and let’s make some miniature roses!
Polymer clay: I personally used some old colored polymer clay I had laying around from when I was a kid, but if you want to make your roses more permanent I’d recommend using a Polymer clay that you can bake in the oven and keep forever! I have used this polymer clay before and use it for every permanent project!
1. Roll out a log of clay and cut it into 7 even slices. Roll each little slice of clay into a ball. You can also roll out the entire ball of clay and cut out even circles with a mini cookie cutter. Similar to making Christmas cookies! Completely up to you!
2. Flatten the ball with both fingers and make sure it’s thick. It should fit at the end of your fingertip depending on how large or small you want it.
3. Roll the flatted piece of clay together to make the inside of the rose. Make sure not to press too hard on the clay. You can use your fingertips to smooth out the sides of the clay.
4. Roll out the second ball slightly larger than the first. Wrap the clay around the middle of the rose that you just created.
5. Create a third flattened piece of clay and overlap the previous piece of clay with this one. Continue to do this step all around the entire rose.
6. When you are happy with how the rose turned out, bake the clay via the directions on the back of the box. Each type is very different and quite sensitive. Make sure to follow the directions to a “t”. If you want to make these roses into a piece of jewelry, add a hole before baking with a toothpick.
7. If you are using white polymer clay, you can choose to paint your roses either before or after they are done baking with acrylic paint!
There you have it! Mini clay roses that you can turn into a gorgeous piece of jewelry, a photo prop or even make a bouquet to sit on your desk or in your home! These roses were a blast to make and they are so cute!!
Will you make these clay roses?